10. day - Magdeburg - Klein Rosenburg





Trip: 54,3 km/h
Average speed: 16,9 km/h
Max. speed: 28,8 km/h
Overal time: 25:04h

This morning, for the first time during our trip we had a lack of motivation. We both wished that we could have slept a bit longer. At the breakfast table I came across a brochure of Magdeburg's suburban railway. Their offer appeared tempting: bicycles transportation free of charge. We checked the schedule and it would have suited us just perferct. There would have been the possibility for us to take a train next to our last night's hotel and get off pretty close to our today's hotel. However, I am very proud to say that we did resist this temptation and we biked.

I have to agree with Mette. I did not find Magdeburg very exciting either. Many of the buildings looked a bit dull. Besides the cathedral and the Hundertwasser house, there are rather few interesting buildings. And the infrastucture is showing many features of Soviet style architecture, mainly how the streets are arranged.

Once we left the centre of Magdeburg, the houses became more appealing. Some houses along the old Elbe riverbed are representative, indeed.

For a while we followed the dyke and shortly before we reached a town called Schöneberg I saw a young calf which, for some reasons, was outside the pasture fence. I went to the farm nearby as I thought that I should inform a responsible about this. I was lucky, the farmer was just on the court yard. I told him about the calf and the fence, but he said that everything is alright and the he does not bother that the calf is outside the fence.

I have to admit that when cycling through the Eastern parts of Germany during this trip, I liked the smaller town, the villages and country much more. The bigger cities that we have passed, like Wittenberge or Magdeburg, looked cheerless and dreary. On the other side, people that we have seen and met on the country side somehow managed to maintain their genuine friendliness and their joy of living.

Mette and I started to have a habit during this trip. Each evening we discuss about the highlight of the day. So what was my highlight of the day? Actually, today there had been two. The first highlight today was a break that we took in a small village which name I unfortunately do not recall. Anyway, we sat on a bench and ate some cake that we bought from the local bakery. That cake tasted do good. The other highlight was not a particular moment as such. It was more of a feeling, a good feeling. And this came from the fact that we, besides being a bit unmotivated in the morning, still went by bike today. It was a good decision.

0 Kommentare: